February 16, 2005

Zucchini!

Korean zucchini

The Korean zucchini is shorter, rounder and lighter in colour than the more common variety in the States. Hmm, I wonder what else fits that description. I find that they are generally less bitter or sweeter as well but your experience could differ. The specimen above is not the best representative as it took a little beating coming from the grocery store to my fridge last Saturday.


If you've reached your sweet tooth limit from your intake of sugar-disguised-as-chocolate this week, the very vegginess of zucchini will help balance your system. I do my best to stay away from unnecessary sweets at home (need being a very personal and arbitrary decision but I am enough of a snob to have really good chocolate) but I can't seem to have enough self-control against the bad chocolates that appear endlessly at work. And they seem to be most visible around 4'o clock in the afternoon, you know what I mean?

My farorite way to use this zucchini is to make zucchini pancakes. It's sort of a peasant food but a pretty direct way to bring out the zucchini-ness.

Ingredients:
1 med. zucchini, julienned
1 1/2 c. flour
cold water
salt and pepper
vegetable oil for cooking

Prepare the zucchini: Cut off the ends and julienne into thin strips. I have a cheap mandoline that works well. Sprinkle salt over the zucchini and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. When the zucchini is limp, squeeze the water out and mix with the flour mixture.

Flour mixture: Mix flour with enough water to make a batter. It should be the consistency of pancake batter. Add the zucchini to the flour mix.

Cook over medium heat.

Optional: You can add an egg to the flour mixture for additional flavor but I like the taste of plain flour.

No comments: